Immediately following the Inaugural ANZAC Day Civic Ceremony on Marine Parade, on the 25 April 1916 the people of Napier moved across the road to witness his Worship the Mayor, J. Vigor Brown ESQ M.P. place the foundation stone into the wall of the J.A Louis Hay designed ‘Soldiers Club’ building.
The Foundation Stone was cemented in place, where it still remains today, with a silver trowel which was donated to him after the occasion by the members of the Association. This momentous occasion gave birth to the Napier Returned and Services Association, currently the oldest RSA in New Zealand.
Almost 9 months after this auspicious occasion, the 4 December 1916 the ‘Soldiers Club’ was incorporated and so began the 100 year history of the Association. The RSA has moved locations twice since 1916 and currently operates out of modern premises in Vautier Street, less than 2 kilometers from its original location.